Monday, July 25, 2005

Inaugural Blog


My inaugural blog creates somewhat of a conundrum for me and my readers. Since writing is a much slower process than thinking, it is possible to forget what I want to write before I am able to write it. Moreover, I do not have control over reader perception. What may be meant as literal, a reader may perceive as figurative. What may be meant as ironic, a reader may perceive as sarcastic and cynical, thereby creating problems.

From past blogs on other sites, I have found that one mistake in logic, or even one mistake in grammar, can profoundly affect a reader’s perception of the text. Because of this, pushing the eminent "Publish Post" button can be a frightening experience for a writer. On the other hand, the deliberate advantage to writing, unless there are editorial time constraints, is the abundance of time for correction and clarification.

However, is my purpose in blogs to satisfy an audience? Will anyone really read this? Finally, will anyone care about what I have to say? Perhaps what my blog really creates is a simplification of the complex possibilities of human motivation, for surely the motive behind writing this blog, or any blog for that matter, is to persuade an audience. If I wanted to protect myself from harsh critics and keep my thoughts surreptitious, I would write in my private journal. Instead, I cautiously expose myself to a myriad of critics and I welcome them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home