Friday, March 07, 2008

Honor in the Face of Political Destitution

Brian Beutler writes in his piece "Folding on FISA" regarding Congressional Republicans inability to update FISA, stating "Or maybe it was a sign that the American public is genuinely suspicious of such broad power in the hands of the government." Although he presents it as theoretical, he's giving the American public too much credit. At one point in time this might have been true, but I'm not so sure "many" Americans can see past the issues that CNN, MSNBC, or FOX News tell them. Nor can they see beyond their six packs of beers, or bags of Chicharrones, or SUVs, or $5.00 a gallon of gas (now being reported in San Francisco).

The irony in this whole FISA issue is that Republicans, even slack-jawed, redneck Texas Republicans, should be incensed that this Administration illegally spied on Americans and that this President wants to broaden that power. But they are not! Historically, Republicans have vociferously opposed such government intrusion. Remember how much hell, and rightfully so, Janet Reno endured by some of these same Republicans hailing the updating of FISA and the provision of immunity for telecommunication companies involved in the illegal wiretapping of Americans?

However, Beutler also states, "And if they nonetheless decide they can't win, one might cynically conclude that, deep down, Democrats enjoy the thought of unchecked government surveillance authority as much as Republicans do... they will be signalling that...they haven't learned to speak as a party about national security with anything resembling confidence or principle." I won't cynically conclude that "deep down" Democrats "enjoy" it, but I will cynically conclude that they are in essence giving the Republican argument relevancy by caving. Listen man, if we don't have principles, what do we have?

I believe, and maybe naively so, that politicians should "always" fight for principles that are good and just. I once personally knew a guy who would fight for these principles no matter what: bodily harm, imprisonment, etc. He was an inspiration to me. Because of these principles, he would literally risk his life for people, even those who had come from considerably more priveleged backgrounds than his . These rich, bloated, comfortable Democrats on the Hill know nothing of this. And, I could give a rat's ass if it costs them politically should they do so. At least I would be able to look at them with pride and honor, something this nation has forgotten about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kucinich... Feingold...Wattada .. Olberman.. Mike Malloy.. Randi Rhoads.. Some of my favorite people. You got me thinking of who is inspiring to me anymore.
I'm going to read more of your blogs. It's refreshing to hear intelligent, informed, and insightful comment on these topics. And my views are pretty much 'right there with you' on the stuff I've read so far.
BTW, I found your site from a comment you left on my youtube video of my daughter at 15 mos. cranking up the Pearl Jam. Thanks for the words and props.

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home